Thank you for your interest in sharing astronomy with the public and your fellow RASCals via the RASC Speaker’s Directory. The purpose of the Speaker’s Directory is to allow event planners and coordinators to source enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and motivated speakers who can offer their talents and services to help share astronomy with the public.
There are two classes of speakers as follows:
- Astronomy Ambassadors – Astronomy ambassadors are enthusiastic and knowledgeable amateur astronomers who are prepared to deliver talks at your local Centre events without a speaking fee.
- Pro-Am Presenters – Pro-Am Presenters require a speaking fee or honorarium to help support their presentation preparation and delivery. A Pro-Am Presenter is not necessarily a professional astronomer but may also be an author, astronomy educator, or some other person with a high degree of involvement in astronomy. Pro-Am Presenters pay an annual fee of $50.00 for a directory listing.
Application and Maintenance Process
The application process is as noted below:
- Complete the online application.
- The Society will approach your References for testimonials.
- Once your references have responded and been reviewed your listing will be published as part of the RASC Speaker’s Directory.
Every 12 months, you will be asked to review and repost your Speaker's Directory profile in order to ensure that it stays up to date and relevant.
Your Speaker's Directory profile includes the following:
- A suitable photo of yourself
- Your name, Centre affiliation and astronomical background
- Your travel preferences and availability
- A list of current session / presentation topics that you are prepared to speak to
- Contact information
- Testimonials from your references.
- Testimonials from your recent presentations
We ask that you provide as much information as possible to help people find you and to make the RASC Speaker’s Directory a success.
In order to ensure a quality Speaker’s Directory and to ensure that every speaker has a minimum number of testimonials available, your application will include the names of two references who will be approached to provide suitable testimonials for your profile. In order to ensure a smooth application process we encourage you to approach your references in advance to get their agreement to provide a testimonial for you.
Moderated comments will be included with your Speaker’s Profile to support your testimonials. Participants are encouraged to solicit reviews of their speaking engagements and have them submitted to support and extend your Speaker Profile.